The Front Desk Agent will report to TWA Director of Front Office and will be responsible for processing all guest check-ins by confirming reservations, assigning room, and issuing and activating room key. Furthermore this role processes all payment types such as room charges, cash, checks, debit, or credit and processes all check-outs including resolving any late and disputed charges. An ideal candidate for this role has great communication skills with a positive demeanor and the ability to multi-task and work well with others.
- Welcome and acknowledge each and every guest with a smile, eye contact, and a friendly verbal greeting, using the guest’s name when possible.
- Address guests’ service needs in a professional, positive, and timely manner.
- Engage guests in conversation regarding their stay, property services, and area attractions/offerings.
- Actively listen and respond positively to guest questions, concerns, and requests.
- Thank guests with genuine appreciation and provide a fond farewell.
- Assist other crew members (employees) to ensure proper coverage and prompt guest service.
- Anticipate guests’ service needs, including asking questions of guests to better understand their needs and watching/listening to guest preferences and acting on them whenever possible.
- Provide assistance to individuals with disabilities, including assisting visually, hearing, or physically-impaired individuals within guidelines (e.g., escorting them when requested, using words to explain actions, writing directions on paper, moving objects out of the way, or offering access to Braille or TDD phones).
- Speak to guests and co-workers using clear, appropriate and professional language.
- Answer telephones using appropriate etiquette including answering the phone within 3 rings, answering with a smile in one’s voice, using the callers’ name, transferring calls to appropriate person/department, requesting permission before placing the caller on hold, taking and relaying messages, and allowing the caller to end the call
- Exchange information with other crew members using electronic devices (e.g., pagers and two-way radios, email).
- Support all crew members and treat them with dignity and respect.
- Develop and maintain positive and productive working relationships with other crew members and departments.
- Handle sensitive issues with guests with tact, respect, diplomacy, and confidentiality.
- Enter and locate work-related information using computers and/or point of sale systems.
- Move, lift, carry, push, pull, and place objects weighing less than or equal to 10 pounds without assistance.
- Process all guest check-ins by confirming reservations in computer system (e.g., Fidelio, PMS, FOSSE, OPERA), verifying guest identity, requesting form of payment, assigning room, and issuing room key in accordance with property policies and procedures.
- Secure valid form of payment (e.g., credit card, cash) prior to issuing room key
- Set up accurate accounts for each guest upon check-in according to their requirements (i.e., sharewiths, separate room/tax/incidentals, comp).
- Activate room keys using electronic key machine (e.g., Saflok) and reissue new room keys to guests as necessary (e.g., lost key) by verifying guest identity and using electronic key machine. Assign room according to guest request and preferences whenever possible
- Verify and adjust billing for guests.
- Process all check-outs including express check-outs, resolving any late and disputed charges, settling account, retrieving room key, and requesting comments on guest’s stay
- Advise guest of any messages (e.g., voicemail, mail, faxes) received for them, and send to room if required.
- Accommodate requests for room changes when possible
- File guest paperwork or documentation.
- Pre-register designated guests and prepare key packets.
- Ensure rates match market codes and that any exceptions are documented and include an explanation.
- Sell a room/accommodation to guests without reservations based on availability.
- Communicate to appropriate staff that there are guests that are waiting for an available room.
- Review requests for late check-outs and approve according to occupancy.
- Keep track of changes in room status (e.g., early check-out, late check-out, room transfer, unexpected stay over) for Housekeeping.
- Coordinate with Service (Housekeeping) to track readiness of rooms for check-in and to report guest concerns.
- Obtain and verify proper tax-exempt information for tax-exempt guests. Reservations/Blocking Rooms
- Confirm reservations and cancellations.
- Run daily reports (number of arrivals, departures), identify any special requests, and check reports for accuracy.
- Complete designated cashier and closing reports in the computer system.
- Run credit card authorization report and check for discrepancies.
- Review shift logs/daily memo books and document pertinent information in logbooks
- Print contingency lists to have a record of all guests in case of emergency.
- Supply guests/residents with directions and information regarding property amenities, services, and hours of operation, and local areas of interest and activities. Guest Services
- Contact appropriate individual or department (e.g., Arrival Person (Bell Person), Arrival Desk, Service, Engineering, Security/Loss Prevention) as necessary to resolve guest call, request, or problem
- Answer, record, and process all guest calls, requests, questions, or concerns.
- Follow up with guests to ensure their requests or problems have been met to their satisfaction. Accept and record wake-up call requests and deliver to appropriate department.
- Respond to special requests from guests/residents with unique needs.
- Communicate parking procedures to guests/visitors.
- Dispatch Arrival Staff (bell staff) as needed.
- Process all payment types such as room charges, cash, checks, debit, or credit
- Process adjustment vouchers, paid-outs, correction vouchers, and miscellaneous charges. Count bank at end of shift and secure bank
- Balance and drop receipts according to Accounting specifications.
- Provide change to guests.
- Obtain manual authorizations and follow all Accounting procedures when computer system is down. Cash guests’ personal checks and traveler’s checks
- Count bank at the beginning of shift to ensure that amounts are correct and that there is adequate change.
- Protect the privacy and security of guests and coworkers.
- Maintain confidentiality of proprietary materials and information.
- Follow company and department policies and procedures.
- Ensure uniform, nametags, and personal appearance are clean, hygienic, professional and in compliance with company policies and procedures.
- Protect company tools, equipment, machines, or other assets in accordance with company policies and procedures.
- Additional duties as assigned by Manager
- High School Diploma/G.E.D. equivalent
- Previous customer service experience preferred.
- Excellent administrative, interpersonal, organization, written and verbal communication skills
- Must work well in a stressful, high pressure situations
- Organizational skills and attention to detail
- Excellent communication skills both written and oral.
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office
- Ability to multi-task and work in a fast-paced environment
- An aptitude for self-motivation
- A can-do attitude and a hands-on approach
- A flexible schedule that allows you to be available days, nights, holidays and weekends based on the demands of the hotel
About TWA Hotel
The TWA Hotel at John F. Kennedy International Airport in New York City is owned and operated by MCR, the sixth-largest hotel owner-operator in the United States with a $2.0 billion portfolio of 85 premium-branded hotels across 26 states and 67 cities, including 50 Marriott properties, 30 Hilton properties, and The High Line Hotel in downtown Manhattan. The company’s innovative approach to guest services and unparalleled attention to detail are redefining the hotel experience and earning recognition from publications including The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, Condé Nast Traveler and Travel + Leisure. MCR is an equal opportunity employer of more than 2,500 associates and is dedicated to providing an integrity-driven, merit-based working environment. Consistently honored with excellence awards, the company was named one of the United States top owners in 2018 by Hotel Business. For more information on MCR, please visit http://www.mcrhotels.com.
The Company and its corporate affiliates are Equal Opportunity employers. The Company and its affiliates do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), religion, national origin, sexual orientation, transgender status, age, family or marital status, genetic information, military or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status, activity, or characteristic.
Job Types: Full-time, Temporary
- 8 hour shift
- Day shift
- Night shift
- High school or equivalent (Preferred)
- Hotel Experience: 1 year (Preferred)
- Front Desk: 1 year (Preferred)