Director Cooperman Business Center
Hunter College (City University of New York) is a top-ranked public college in New York City with a strong focus on the liberal arts. The Princeton Review recently referred to Hunter as “the crown jewel of the CUNY system.” Hunter’s academic programs cover more than a hundred fields ranging from adolescence education and anthropology to nursing, urban affairs, women’s studies, and Arabic. Intellectually exciting and rigorous, grounded in solid academic tradition but fully geared to the 21st century, these programs prepare students for graduate and professional school, for a host of professions, and for the rich, productive life of the educated citizen. The student body is highly diverse both racially and socio-economically.
Hunter offers undergraduate students support from a suite of pre-professional programs and advisors (Pre-Med, Pre-Law, etc.). The Cooperman Business Center provides these services for students from any major who are interested in a wide range of business and management careers, primarily but not exclusively in the for-profit space. Our students go on to careers in fields including finance, marketing, tech, real estate, non-profits, and more. Among other activities, the Cooperman Business Center organizes speakers, workshops, and events; liaises with student clubs; selects top students to participate in the prestigious Cooperman Fellowship and provides one-on-one career coaching for students. The Center also coordinates closely with the Director of Hunter’s Certificate in Business Studies, who leads a growing academic program for undergraduates to augment their liberal arts studies with a foundation in business.
We are now recruiting for a Director of the Cooperman Business Center to manage the next stage of growth for the Center. This high-visibility role represents the Business Center internally and externally and manages a small team accountable for the operations and development of the Cooperman Business Center. Responsibilities as detailed below.
Career Counseling and Coaching
- Provides individual and group career counseling to students interested in a wide range of business and management careers, helping them explore options and successfully make the transition from school to career.
- Supports and coaches Business Certificate students in finding, applying to, and securing internships for participation in the Certificate’s Capstone Course.
- Establishes and maintains effective and cooperative working relationships with students, alumni, faculty, employers, and the President’s Office.
- Works closely with the Director of the Certificate in Business Studies to align direction and student support efforts.
- Promotes Cooperman Business Center to students, alumni, and employers through a variety of marketing efforts.
- Identifies and builds opportunities for students withexternal programs focusing on DEI and related initiatives
- In conjunction with the Executive Director, determines strategic direction and evolution of Cooperman Business Center
- Oversees Cooperman Fellowship program, leading application process and selection, providing regular career coaching and events, supervising processing of fellowship fund payments and submitting annual stewardship report.
- Plans and executes business career-related seminars, panels, workshops, and other events.
- Collects and distributes information concerning internships, access programs, and full and part-time job opportunities.
- Establishes office policies and procedures, prepares reports as required, and collects and analyzes data relevant to the career planning and placement of students and alumni.
- Assists in the development of a budget, supervises expenditures, and maintains fiscal responsibility.
- Supervises one full-time manager and one part-time employee
- Supports and abides by all rules, regulations, and guidelines of the college and serves as an appropriate role model for students.
- Performs related duties as required.
Degree in business administration or affiliated field; career counseling; or similar. MBA or other higher degree preferred.
At least ten years of professional experience with increasing responsibility in a corporate business setting or in a higher education careers service. Important knowledge and capabilities include excellent verbal and written communication, coaching and mentorship experience, plus strong organizational skills and the ability to translate ideas into action. Familiarity with current corporate recruiting norms and processes is helpful. Some preference for experience in financial services.
This employee must be able to effectively direct existing Cooperman Business Center programs, and to develop new ones on his/her own initiative. Dependability, good judgment, professionalism, and strong commitment to working with a diverse student population are critical.
ALL APPLICATIONS MUST BE RECEIVED BY E-MAIL; DO NOT APPLY ON LINE AT THIS JOB BOARD.