The Advocacy Institute (AI) was created to support the legislative advocacy of social justice and movement-building organizations across New York State. Since our founding in 2013, we’ve helped hundreds of organizers and advocates engage in more efficient and effective legislative advocacy.
Advocacy Institute aims to embody the values of justice, equity and dignity for all people. We practice these values by supporting a culture of teamwork, feedback, and open communication among staff.
The Program Coordinator delivers AI trainings to new advocates and to member organizations, and manages program logistics. The ideal candidate will be a skilled facilitator with a background in legislative campaigns and a keen attention to detail.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Facilitation and Teaching
- Serve as trainer for AI monthly public trainings for new advocates and AI core curriculum provided to member organizations;
Manage Program Logistics
- Manage logistics for monthly public trainings, including outreach materials, tracking registration and payments, managing Zoom, and communicating with participants;
- Manage logistics for our new leadership development cohort launching in 2022;
Produce Member Communications
- In coordination with AI’s Engagement Manager, produce weekly e-blast for AI members, including writing summaries of key news articles, layout of email newsletter, testing and proofreading;
Other Duties and Responsibilities
- Other duties, as assigned
Education and/or Experience
- 1-2 years experience organizing legislative and/or budget advocacy campaigns in New York state
- 1-2 years experience facilitating and leading trainings or workshops
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Excellent communication skills, and engaging facilitation or teaching style
- Demonstrated attention to detail and administrative skills, including facility with technology such as Zoom, Google products, and video editing
- Collaborative work style, and desire to be part of a team
- Ability to solve problems and manage multiple priorities simultaneously
- Commitment to examining one’s own experience of privilege and oppression, and facility with giving and receiving effective feedback
- Fluency in Spanish preferred
The Program Coordinator reports to the Training Director, and collaborates with other staff, consultants and partners as needed.
- Must be able to spend 30+ hours per week using a computer and 3-4 hours per day on video conferencing
Advocacy Institute uses a hybrid model of in-person and remote work. Employees in the New York City area are expected to be able to commute to in-person work in the five boroughs of New York City, and can expect up to 1-3 days of in-person work per week in 2022. Local or statewide travel to facilitate in-person trainings or programs may occur in 2022.
We are open to considering candidates based in our priority regions outside New York City, including the Hudson Valley, Western New York, or Long Island.
- Remote work is conducted at the employee’s home office. A laptop computer and incidental supplies needed to accomplish remote work are provided by AI.
- In-person work will be conducted at shared office locations in New York City. Employees can expect elevator access, gender neutral bathrooms, and a bull-pen style desk arrangement with moderate noise and disruptions.
Time & Compensation
Full time position, starting as soon as the position is filled. Salary range is $60,000 to $65,000, based on experience. Competitive benefits package includes medical, dental, vision, 403b retirement account, 12 days vacation in the first year, and a two-week winter holiday.
Thank you for your interest in the Advocacy Institute! To apply, please submit an application package to [email protected] that includes the following:
- Cover letter
- Written response to these prompts:
- What do you think are the most important training topics for AI to provide to social justice organizations in New York state?
- Why is it important for you to work at a social justice organization?
No calls please. Because of the high volume of anticipated applicants, we regret that we will be unable to respond to all submissions. Application deadline: Rolling, with anticipated start date of early 2022.
Equal Employment Opportunity: The Advocacy Institute is a fiscally sponsored project of Tides, an equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage applications from women, people of color, and bilingual and bicultural individuals, as well as members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender communities. Applicants shall not be discriminated against because of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, or medical condition including acquired immune deficiency syndrome (AIDS) and AIDS-related conditions. We encourage and will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Applicants with Disabilities: Reasonable accommodation will be made so that qualified disabled applicants may participate in the application process. If you seek an accommodation, please advise in writing at the time you apply.