Compassion & Choices is seeking a NY/NJ State Campaign Manager to help advance our medical outreach and education efforts across the country.
The State Campaign Manager for New Jersey & New York works to advance Compassion & Choices’ mission of expanding options for compassionate dying, and empowering everyone to choose end-of-life care that reflects their values, priorities, and beliefs. The campaign manager works to implement the organization’s strategies with supporters and organizations at the state and local level with the goal of passing medical aid-in-dying legislation and other initiatives to improve person-centered care for those with advanced illnesses who are facing the end of their lives.
This is a full-time, remotely-located (must reside in New York or New Jersey), paid position reporting to the NY/NJ Campaign Director. Compensation offered will be commensurate with experience. Must be able and willing to travel (overnight and possible weekends), and have the ability to rent a car and take public transportation. Mileage and travel costs are employer paid.
We offer excellent benefits including employer-shared medical and dental insurance premiums, employer-paid short- and long-term disability, life and accidental death & dismemberment insurance, flexible spending account for medical and child care, commuter pre-tax benefit, eligibility to participate in 401K with generous 5% employer match and 100% vested at time of eligibility, 12 paid holidays, 17 PTO days first year, and floating holidays.
This position will primarily be responsible for:
- Execute plans to build support for legislation and policies that improve end-of-life care and expand options;
- Collaborate with the Campaign Director to effectively deploy resources locally (including communications, digital, and political resources);
- Recruit, train, and manage local volunteers to become successful campaign leaders;
- Engage, cultivate and manage grassroots and grasstops relationships to support the success of the campaign;
- Manage and ensure completion of all community field activities, including events and local advocacy campaigns, which could include phonebanking and email advocacy;
- Provide regular briefings to staff and allies; draft written materials and presentations as needed;
- Represent Compassion & Choices at public events and forums as needed;
- Manage, track and report field data, including contacts with supporters;
- Support development efforts as requested, which may include sharing prospects, briefing staff and donors, alerting staff of fundraising opportunities, and reaching out to donors to make direct fundraising asks;
- Support the organization’s Diversity, Equity & Inclusion work;
- Complete required related reports in a timely fashion (e.g., expense reports, time cards, performance reviews, and weekly reports);
- Other duties as assigned
Preferred Qualifications (You will be a good fit):
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s or Associate’s degree in a related field (e.g., Political Science, Public Policy, Law, Journalism) – or equivalent combination of education and/or experience.
- Three (3) to Five (5) years directly related experience (or an equivalent combination of education and experience) which includes:
- Demonstrated knowledge of local, state and federal government activities and structures;
- Demonstrated understanding of public policy or issue-based advocacy, community mobilization, and advocacy tactics and communications.
- Experience working on a political or issue campaign strongly preferred.
- Language Skills: Ability to read, analyze and interpret the news; read and follow a campaign plan; and write persuasively for a variety of internal and external audiences.
- Mathematical Skills: Ability to track and record expenses and project costs within a budget.
- Reasoning Ability: Ability to identify problems, find and establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
- Computer Skills: Ability to work within the Google platform, including the ability to use shared Google Docs and manage spreadsheets.
About Compassion & Choices
Across the nation, Compassion & Choices works to create a society that affirms life and accepts the inevitability of death, embraces expanded options for compassionate dying, and empowers everyone to choose end-of-life care that reflects their values, priorities and beliefs. To make this vision a reality, we improve care, expand options and empower everyone to chart their end-of-life journey.
Compassion & Choices is committed to building a staff that reflects the diverse communities that make up our country. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and recruit, hire, train, promote, and administer any and all personnel actions without regard to age, color, creed, disability, economic status, ethnic identity, gender identity, national origin race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, veterans status, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.